Naturally Sweetened Lemon Meringue "Pie" Recipe - Gluten Free
I've had a baking "mind block" for a while now when it comes to my baking. Its not that I CAN'T make sweet treats in general right now, but I've been trying to strengthen myself on my Beachbody fitness journey and have not quite figured out how to incorporate my healthy lifestyle with what I LOVE to do -- BAKE!! So, my response to until now, was to not make ANY dessert. Well, that is not working for me, I NEED to bake and create! I've searched online and found some recipes but I can not just make something just because its healthy, it HAS to taste good too!! I've experimented with a couple of dessert recipes that just did not make the cut and therefore I have not shared them with you. How do I know they are not up to par? Well, if my hubby won't eat something, we have a problem.
I was so excited! Could I really share this recipe with my 21 Day Fix Challengers as a great "treat" option?! I ran to my kitchen and whipped up a batch of beautiful fluffy meringue and SURPRISE -- it TASTED GREAT!! NOTE: After the meringue shells baked, the honey flavors really popped and were a tad "too sweet" - if that is even possible! But, for me, I will decrease the honey in this recipe to a 1/2 cup the next time I bake these off - which will be VERY soon!
Next, I flipped my page to my lemon curd recipe and decided to create a little experiment and tweak my recipe to remove the sugar AND butter. I substituted coconut oil for the butter and honey for the sugar! I LOVE lemon curd so this was hard for me to do but the result really surprised me! My taste buds were bouncing! I am so excited to share this complete dessert recipe with you. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. I am posting BOTH versions for those who want to make this with sugar!
From my HOME to yours,
MERINGUE COOKIE RECIPE:
4 large egg whites
1 C. honey (or 1 C. white sugar)
pinch of salt
1 t. of pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
1. Place eggs whites, honey, salt and vanilla into a metal or glass bowl.
2. Place bowl on top of a pot with approx. 1 inch of water. (Double Boiler)
NOTE: Do not let bowl touch the water.
2. Heat water to a boil and turn down to simmer while continuously whisking the egg mixture until it reaches at least 145%
3. Place mixture into a mixer and whip with whisk attachment until the eggs reach "stiff peaks".
4. Place meringue into a piping bag and pipe into whatever shape you like or make dollops with spoonfuls onto a lined baking sheet.
5. Bake on low heat 210-225 for approx. 2 hours until cookies are dry. Cool to room temperature.
6. Store in airtight container at room temperature.
Lemon Curd Recipe:
*Use Meyer lemons when possible
*Use Meyer lemons when possible
zest of 2 lemons
juice of 2 lemons
5 T. of honey (or 6 T. white sugar)
2 eggs + 3 yolks
1/4 C. coconut oil (or 1/4 Cup unsalted butter)
1. Place all ingredients into a metal or glass bowl.
2. Bring a pot with 1 inch of water to a boil on the stove and reduce to a simmer. Place the bowl over the pot and whisk
continuously until mixture is thick (aprox. 5-7 minutes). Next, remove the bowl from the heat.
NOTE: for a silky smooth texture and to remove pieces of lemon zest push through a mesh sieve into another bowl.
3. Add coconut oil and mix until melted and combined.
4. Cover curd with saran wrap so it touches the top of curd - this keeps a film from forming on top -- and immediately place in refrigerator to chill.
Place lemon curd into meringue "nests" and top with fresh fruit! or just eat it by the spoonful! ENJOY!